Sunday, January 27, 2013

Intern's January Exhibition Review


January Exhibition Review by Michelle Siemionkowicz, ARC Gallery Intern

Upon a first look at these three artist’s exhibitions, I noticed hanging drapery, yellow cake, and an unsettling childlike figure staring back at me. I found the space slightly divided, with several abstract panels hanging in front, brightly colored paintings in the mid section of the gallery, leading me back to black and white portraits. Yet upon further inspection, I found a natural flow guiding me through each artist’s work. All of these artists are communicating a sense of self as a part their narrative. To me each artist captures my attention by “just being in the moment” and the subtle realization that not everything is as it appears to be the on the surface the instant you first lay eyes on it.

Granite Amit Installation, Hereticha Be'eynecha

I loved how Granite Amit’s pieces draw you into the gallery, and how she seeks to represent a journey but not necessarily an end. The large translucent drapes give us a sense that there is something happening bigger than ourselves; and there are aspects of life that are in need of closer inspection. 

Nicole McCormick Santiago Oil on Canvas, Lost

Our passage leads us next to the works of Nicole McCormick Santiago, who interestingly enough brings us to a slower pace, giving us time to reflect.  Her pieces appear to be joyful from a distance with their bright vivid colors and clean tight brush strokes, but there is most certainly a melancholy undertone. The Gift and Lost struck me as being moments of mixed feelings and desperation. Uncertain about what the future holds. I felt both the happiness of motherhood, but also the struggles of womanhood. 
Chistopher Fraser, Oil on Canvas, Trolley

Christopher Fraser’s artwork creates a bittersweet feeling. His black and white portraits give the subtle sense that something is off and askew. The paintings have a presence of serenity yet an element is placed within the picture twisting this feeling to sadness. Up close each of the individual brush strokes are evident, providing movement and flow to an erratic piece. The closer you look at the paintings, the more the figures become distorted, adding an extra element of bizarreness, such as in the provoking piece entitled, Trolley Christopher’s work leaves a reflection upon ourselves.
Where at first I viewed each artist separately and disjointed, I came to enlightenment when I saw each story come together with this idea of a journey, from the start to the end, past to future, and each guiding moment in-between that leads us up to the paths we undertake.  These exhibitions are on view through Saturday February 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment